To fill a vacancy, we are looking for an experienced
You will research the investments, financing, tax strategies and equity valuations of companies involved in international commodity chains (mining, agriculture, fisheries, forestry, energy) and other sectors with significant social and environmental impacts (garments, weapons, electricity, etc.). With this type of research we aim to understand how sustainability risks (for the environment, workers, local communities, etc.) created by corporate activities can translate into business risks and financial risks, and which leverage options stakeholders (shareholders, banks, governments, NGOs) might have to mitigate and avoid such risks by influencing corporate strategies. Specifically:
- Investments research aims to understand capital expenditure patterns: the choices made regarding production technologies (e.g. renewable vs. coal-fired power), segments of activity, geographical allocation and vertical integration;
- Financing research aims to understand how companies finance their current operations and expansion plans, identifying the different financiers (banks, pension funds, public financiers), their risk exposure and their leverage options;
- Tax strategy research aims to unravel how international company groups use subsidiaries and affiliates in low-tax jurisdictions as well transfer-pricing and other tax avoidance strategies to reduce their tax payments - thereby depriving governments of the income to pay for public goods;
- Equity valuation research aims to analyse how sustainability risks created by corporate activities can translate into business risks (reduced market access, stranded assets, increasing costs of capital) and may result in financial risks for their shareholders and creditors.
With your research results you can support investors, governments and NGOs to address negative sustainability impacts of corporate actors and to stimulate adequate CSR policies and regulations which foster sustainable and inclusive development. Presenting your research findings in webinars and meetings with investors and other stakeholders will therefore be part of this job as well.
We expect you to:
- have a university degree in finance or a related field;
- be a passionate researcher with keen analytical skills and a high level of accuracy;
- have experience with analysing corporate financial reports and other financial data;
- feel highly motivated to foster the integration of sustainability and social justice in corporate practices;
- to have demonstrable experience in writing and editing well-structured reports in English, while experience in reading and writing in other major languages would be an advantage;
- to be able to present your research results to investors and other stakeholders;
- live within commuting distance of our office or have the willingness to relocate.
- challenging and varied research and advice projects with a high social relevance;
- an organizational structure which aims to enable your personal and professional development;
- an international team of highly motivated colleagues with diverse fields of expertise;
- a wide network of inspiring clients from all over the world;
- opportunities for (international) travel to meet investors and other stakeholders;
- a friendly office close to the Amsterdam Sloterdijk train station;
- a contract for 28 to 40 hours per week (to be determined in consultation);
- flexible working hours and the option to work part-time from home;
- an initial monthly salary for 40 hours/week between € 2,779 and € 4,385, depending on experience; and
- a good pension scheme and other fringe benefits.
For more information on Profundo, please visit this website. If you have further questions, feel free to call or send an email to Jan Willem van Gelder (+31-(0)20-8208320 or ).
Please send your application, including a motivation letter, a curriculum vitae and a sample of your research work, no later than 23 July 2020 to Jan Willem van Gelder via .
Are you motivated to work for Profundo and do you have relevant skills and knowledge? Then we would like to receive your open application.
Please send a short resume summarizing your knowledge, experience and motivation to . Attach your CV and preferably an example of research you have done.